Your source for expert information on housing in South Dakota

Do I Qualify for Rental Assistance in South Dakota?

Posted by South Dakota Housing Authority on Feb 8, 2018 3:46:04 PM


Managing a monthly rent payment can sometimes seem like more than your paycheck can handle. But if you meet certain standards, you may be able to qualify for assistance in making those payments here in South Dakota. You have several options—from Project-Based Section 8 to vouchers.

Here are some of the most common requirements for rental-assistance programs.

What's Your Income?

One of the primary elements that will play a role in your eligibility for rental assistance is how much money you make—including both you and anyone else who works in the household. Tally up your estimated annual income, and compare it against the requirements set by the Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD)—these limits can change on an annual basis, but take a look at the most recent requirements in South Dakota.

Do You Live Elsewhere?

One common requirement in many financial-assistance programs for rental housing is that the apartment or rental property in question be your only residence. If you split your time in multiple places, this may disqualify you for assistance. Ensure that the unit in question is your sole place of residence to maximize your assistance potential.

How big is your Rental?

The size of your unit is something that will affect your eligibility as well—particularly if it's a multi-bedroom property. Number of bedrooms can factor into your qualifications for receiving assistance to pay for your rent. These standards can be set on a program or property basis. If you have questions about these requirements, contact SDHDA at 605-773-3181 or

Do you fall under a special status?

Sometimes assistance programs will make funds available to renters based on their life situations. For example, there are programs geared specifically toward individuals who are elderly or people with disabilities. In addition, you may be required to prove U.S. citizenship or supply documentation of your immigration status to qualify for government assistance on your rent payments.

Need more help?

This is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of what you may or may not qualify for—talk to an SDHDA team member about your options by emailing or calling us at 605-773-3181.

New Call-to-action

Topics: Renting

Subscribe to Our Housing Newsletter

Recent Posts

Free e-book download: A South Dakotan's Guide to Buying Your First Home, Volume 2: Searching