You have questions. We have answers. If you’ve been impacted by COVID-19 or the financial crisis, the SD CARES Housing Assistance Program can provide rental and housing assistance to qualifying South Dakotans. If you’re wondering if you qualify or where to get started, you’ve come to the right place.
Here’s what you need to know about the SD CARES Housing Assistance Program.
How Do I Know If I Am Eligible?
To be eligible, one must:
- Be a South Dakotan resident
- Legally reside in the United States
- Be financially impacted-directly or indirectly- by the COVID-19 pandemic
- Have a current household income at or below 80% of the area median income (renters) or 100% of the area median income (homeowners) for your respective county
- Owe past-due rent, mortgage, or utilities, or be unable to pay upcoming rent, mortgage or utilities due to the COVID-19 financial impact
Check out these income guidelines before moving forward:
Where Do I Start?
You can start your application process here and follow these four easy steps:
- Check Your Eligibility
- Enter Your Personal Information
- Provide Rental Company/Landlord or Mortgage Company Details
- Upload your Required Documents (paystubs, lease agreements, mortgage statement, etc.)
- Sign Your Digital Signature
What Happens After I Submit My Application?
You will receive an email indicating that your application has been received. This tokenized email will be your access to your application, so it is very important that you do not lose it. You will use this tokenized email to log back into the application to check your applications status, upload additional documents if necessary, exchange messages with your case worker and potentially apply for additional funding.
Upon submission, your application will be assigned to one of the partner agencies, and they will be in contact with you for any additional documents or information that may be necessary.
If you are unable to pay rent or utilities because of the pandemic, short-term financial assistance may be available. For more information and FAQs visit the SD CARES Housing Assistance Program page.